Website Genome Canada
Genome Canada is recruiting a new Finance and Accounting Officer to join our team and support our work as a catalyst for solutions—enabled by genomics research, innovation and technologies—that are building a healthier, more environmentally sustainable and prosperous Canada.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Finance and Accounting Officer will coordinate day-to-day accounting processes, monthly bank and investment reconciliations, annual audit requirements, and support other financial and accounting duties while contributing to the continuous improvement of the accounting policies, processes, and controls, ensuring compliance across the organization.
The Finance and Accounting Officer will be responsible for: bookkeeping, accounts payable, account receivable, preparing financial statements, processing expense reports, monitoring company accounts, conducting quarterly reviews, and reviewing and maintaining internal controls, processes, and systems.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Maintain general ledger accounts and business transactions
- Ensure compliance and arrange for payment of expenditures (vendor invoices, external reviewer payments, staff expense claims, etc.)
- Complete monthly bank, credit card, and investment reconciliations
- Maintain filing systems related to payments, invoices, and banking
- Manage Genome Canada’s AP/AR functions
- Support the annual audit process and all other external reviews of Genome Canada
- Prepare for the Director’s approval, annual government filings such as commodity taxes, T2 tax returns for NFP organizations and T4-A reports
- Assist the Finance Team with reports and analysis of financial data for the Board of Directors and Board Committees
- Provide support with the annual budgeting process, operational planning, and financial reporting
- Assist with the quarterly draw exercise with the Genome Centres
- Post-secondary education in a relevant field such as finance or accounting
- Relevant experience in bookkeeping and conducting financial analysis
- Experience with the management of public funds, the implementation and compliance to financial policies, and the appropriate controls and reporting principles for public accountability
- Understanding and experience with the development, maintenance, and improvements to reporting templates and related system improvements
- Excellent computer stills with hands-on working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and experience with accounting packages (e.g., Sage 5.0) for bookkeeping, financial analysis, and reporting
- Strong oral and written communication skills to collaborate with individuals at all levels internally and externally
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Strong financial business acumen and proven ability to exercise sound judgement
- A self-starter with strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to extract, analyze, and present solutions to financial issues in a clear and concise manner
- High degree of tact, integrity, professionalism, and discretion
- Strong problem-solving, decision making, and analytical skills
Genome Canada has partnered with Business Sherpa Group to facilitate the hiring process for this role. Please reference “Genome Canada – Finance and Accounting Officer” in the subject line. The closing date for priority selection is May 20, 2021; however, we will continue to accept applications after this date until the position is filled.
Individual accommodations due to a disability are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, religion, ethnicity, gender, disability, citizenship status, marital status, actual or perceived sexual orientation.
Genome Canada is committed to creating an inclusive environment and building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. We value diversity and recognize that experience comes in many forms and skills are transferable. Please view this description as a general overview, but not a mandatory, comprehensive list. If you feel passionate about our efforts and believe that you have the skills to contribute to this role, apply!
Genome Canada is a not-for-profit organization, funded by the Government of Canada, that acts as a catalyst for developing and applying genomics and genomic-based technologies to create economic and social benefits for Canadians. We connect ideas and people across public and private sectors to find new uses for genomics, invest in large-scale science and technology to fuel innovation, and translate discoveries into solutions across key sectors of national importance. Learn more at genomecanada.ca.
To apply for this job email your details to LGauley@businesssherpagroup.com